If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (224) 372-7772

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Creosote Buildup Causes Wood Stove Fire in Fox Lake Home?

11/15/2022 (Permalink)

A person sits in front of a lit fireplace. We restore fire damage in Lake County 24-hours a day.

Our team in Northwest Lake County wants Fox Lake residents to be safe around the fireplace this fall and winter. As temperatures cool, we spend more time indoors in front of the fireplace. Creosote buildup in a fireplace or wood stove chimney is one of the leading causes of chimney fires in the United States. Here is some helpful information for minimizing the chances of creosote buildup from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Limited air supply and unseasoned wood encourage the buildup of creosote. To avoid that buildup, do not restrict the air supply by:

  • Closing the glass doors
  • Not opening the damper wide enough
  • The longer the smoke is in the flue, the more likely it is that creosote will form
  • Closing down the stove damper or air inlets on a wood stove too soon or too much
  • Do not burn unseasoned wood
  • In the case of wood stoves, overloading the firebox with wood in an attempt to get a longer burn time also contributes to creosote buildup

Fireplace and Woodstove Safety

  • Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out
  • Do not burn paper in your fireplace or woodstove
  • Put ashes in a metal container with a lid outside, at least three feet from your home
  • Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home

Call Us Today!

When you have a fire damage emergency in your Fox Lake home or business, our team in Northwest Lake County is Here to Help. ® Call us today at 224-372-7772.

Franchises are independently owned and operated.

Other News

View Recent Posts